Sleep & Restore
Sleep makes you feel better and its importance goes way beyond just boosting your mood or banishing under-eye circles. Adequate sleep is a key part of a healthy lifestyle, and can benefit your heart, weight, mind, and more.
The body does its physical repair at night between 10pm and 2am and its mental/nervous system repair between 2am and 6am. Frequently going to bed after 10pm will reduce the body’s healing time and missing sleep between 2am and 6am will result in progressive nervous system fatigue and psychogenic stress.
Getting a good night’s sleep has many health benefits including:
- Improves memory
- Reduces inflammation
- Improves creativity
- Improves Physical performance
- Have a healthy weight
- Improves Mental Health & Lower Stress
- May help you actually live longer
This month’s challenge is broken into 3 parts:
- Go to bed at a reasonable time… no later than 10:30pm
- Have good quality and quantity of sleep (6-8 hours), living in our peaceful off-shore environment definitely contributes positively to this!
- Wake up at the right time in your sleep cycle. We have all experience waking up with a shock from a deep sleep with the alarm going off or ideally waking up just as the alarm is about to sound. Sleep tracking and waking at the right time in your sleep cycle can now be optimised by using “Sleep Cycle Alarm” apps on our smart phones/Fitbits.
Until next time… Sleep well, wake up refreshed and enjoy Good Health!
About the author:
Andy Derijk was trained at the Australian Institute of Fitness as a Master Trainer and Personal Trainer and was awarded "Institute Champion” He also holds a Master Degree in Business Marketing. Andy has a lifelong passion for fitness and provides holistic personal training. He runs 3 fitness sessions, 2 days a week, in the great outdoors at Elvina Bay.