Reminder To Prepare For Bushfire Season
Member for Pittwater Rob Stokes is encouraging all residents to prepare for the summer bushfire season.
After the driest winter in 15 years, NSW faces very challenging conditions this summer. There are a number of simple steps property owners in potentially vulnerable areas can take. These include:
- Trimming overhanging trees and shrubs;
- Mowing your lawn and removing all the cut grass;
- Removing flammable materials from around your home (e.g. door mats, wood piles, mulch, leaves, paint, outdoor furniture);
- Clearing and removing debris and leaves from gutters;
- Ensuring you have a hose or hoses that can cover the perimeter of your home;
- Have a conversation with everyone in your home about what exactly they will do in the event of a bushfire.
On the 16th and 17th of September, the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) will host Get Ready Weekend.
Residents can visit their local brigade to pick up vital fire safety information and thank our outstanding volunteer firefighters.
“With so little rain over winter many Pittwater properties and backyards are very dry,” Rob Stokes said today.
“We are fortunate to be protected by fantastic volunteer firefighters - but we all must play our part in being responsible and reducing the fire risk in our community.
“Bushfire embers can travel many kilometres in the air, so taking simple steps now can make a crucial difference in the event of a nearby fire,” Rob Stokes said.
Local brigade events being held this weekend include:
Terrey Hills RFS – Terrey Hills Fire Station, 10:00am-3:00pm, 16 Sept
Scotland Island RFS – Scotland Island Fire Station, 10:00am- 4:00pm, 17 Sept
Coal & Candle RFS – Dunbar Reserve Avalon Beach, 10:00am-3:00pm, 16Sept
Mackerel Beach RFS – Bunnings Warehouse Narrabeen, 8:00am-4:00pm, 16Sept
Duffys Forest RFS – Bunnings Warehouse Belrose, 9:00am-4:00pm, 16and 17Sept
West Pittwater RFS – Bunnings Warehouse Balgowlah, 8:00am-4:00pm, 17 Sept
You can download a Bushfire Survival Plan at https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/resources/bush-fire-survival-plan.